Sunday, October 12, 2014

Aluminum Can Creations

Printing on the inside of aluminum cans creates unique opportunities.   I search for 24 ounce cans so I am able to print a 5 inch by 7 inch image on a single can.  To get a larger image I piece together several cans.  Because it is a can, I can cut a fine edge and carefully align the image parts so the seams are barely invisible.

"Slippery when Wet"





















"Slippery when Wet" is made up of three cans.  The photographic image is 7 inches by 10 inches and frame opening in 11 inches by 14 inches.  Two horizontal cans make up of the photographic portion. Then I have attached one vertical can in the center of the image so your eye does not get stuck on the can edges. Instead your eye follows the pier poles down the center as I intended.

If you look at this image closely you will see the tacks that hold the cans in place.  Cans have to be tacked down or they will return to their can state.  I have covered a piece of plywood with window screen and hand-painted it to compliment the photograph.  That way I have a material behind the painting that the tacks will stay in.  The cans are sprayed with a protective coating so they do not need to be behind glass.

"The Locks"




















"The Locks" is done the same way as "Slippery when Wet".  The vertical can is in contrast to the background cans so the blue of the water and heat of the summer sun comes through.

Please look at the Recycled Cans gallery on my website for other creations.



No comments:

Post a Comment